RE: Fast Lenses: Why so expensive?

A lens of f/1.4 is faster, allows more light, than one at f/5.6 maximum aperture. It's also not as sharp. To make the lens sharper, faster lenses typically are a bit larger, contain more precise glass and more flare coatings. This increases the cost in the lens.

My Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 not only cost more, but it maintains that aperture all during the zoom, which makes it a great lens to use in a studio/flash environment.

Might want to check out some techie sites on lenses to see what makes them expensive...

At 01:20 PM 12/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
I previously was under the impresson the the diaphragm opened when the picture is taken. I theorised that a fast lens was fast because a diapragm opening to f/1.4 @ 1/1000 would be faster than a lens that opened to
f/5.6 @ 1/1000. Obviously that isn't the case.
There is much that I do not understand regarding the physics of light. It just seems from a non-engineering point of view that building a lens with a large aperture shouldn't be any more expensive than a lens with a small aperture.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernest Nitka [mailto:enitka@twcny.rr.com]
Sent: Tue 12/24/2002 12:17 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Fast Lenses: Why so expensive?

Kevin - simply put the faster the lens the more correction has to be
designed into the lens so the distortions don't get the best of the
image. The opposite of this design requirement is the pin hole camera - a
hole without a lens at say f/256 will give you an image albeit not terribly
sharp. The more technical on the list can give you all the technical reasons.

ernie