Re: Why Bother?

Greg, you've gotten some wonderful replies.  Here's my
two pennies' worth.

Someone mentioned that none of us can tell you why
it's worth it.  The answer will have to come from
within your own heart and mind.

True enough.  I'll only talk about my own experience.

You've got the blues at Christmas time.  Welcome to
the club.  It's a big one.

Many people find this to be a sad and difficult time
of year, as you must know.  I'm one of them.

Two things keep me going.  First, this is the season
for making music, and I've made a lot of it.

One concert among many was a Messiah sing-in/play-in:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=260145

(Horns don't play every number.  Shot the pics during
the tacets.)

Another was a benefit concert for a local food bank.

One for me, one for others.  Both feed the soul.

(The second thing that keeps me going, during the
holidays, is the realization that they'll soon be
over.)

Second penny's worth.  Luis suggested that you take
some time off.  Something to think about.

Last spring, I began to notice that I felt worse after
playing my regular Tuesday evening band rehearsals
than I did before I unpacked my instrument.  I don't
make music for a living.  I'm a semi-pro musician.
More semi than pro.  Making music just wasn't fun any
more (for a variety of reasons).

This summer, I took a couple months off.  Didn't pick
up my horn.  Didn't take it out of the case.

Found out that I missed it, a lot.  Found out that I
can't not play and still be happy.  But I came back to
playing with a different attitude.  I'm more selective
about when, where, what, and with whom I play.  I'm
playing less, and when I play I'm having much more fun
than I was six months ago.

Putting the cameras away for a while might clarify
things.

YMMV, John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/