Re: Gallery Impressions

| Oh Greg, can't you recognise a digital composite when you see one?
| I bet that model was not even in the same room as the syringe.
| She was probably sat there wishing she hadn't promised to sit for
| Rand ...
| ... the syringe?  Bet it's supposed to be anthrax antitoxin ...
|

| Bob

Hey --

Bob is extremely perceptive. Doubtlessly by this time Tre was extremely
bored. And for all this time I had been suffering from the misapprehension
that I had somehow been instrumental in creating a contemplative expression
by having her focus her mind on a situation of curiosity and mystery.

BUT...SHHHH...the antitoxin was supposed to be a secret. We are not supposed
to have it yet. The administration was trying to keep it a secret from the
Brits, although they shared it freely with the French. I guess J. Bond came
back out of retirement and British Intelligence is better than we thought.
:-)

Actually, Bob does owe Greg a candy bar. He lost his bet. The model and the
syringe were shot in the same room. The two images were shot several months
apart, but it was the same room for both images.

I had to shoot an image of a drop. So I loaded a syringe with cranberry
juice (the "official" story), squeezed a drop out of the end of the needle
and shot it. Originally the background was a wide spotlight light to dark
background, but it seemed to be too blah. So I went back to an old photo I
took a couple of months ago. I had shot a whole series of images of a model
looking at a candle. I found this one and thought it would work well with
the syringe. So I FIPSed it. [Fixed It in Photoshop, the modern equivalent
of the old film expression: "Fix it in post."]

The glow around the needle hub is the glow from the candle flame. I could
have taken the glow out, but I convinced myself that it added a somewhat
neat effect. (Okay, the reality is that I was very tired and just too lazy
to do it at the time.) So I left it in.

And Greg, I did enjoy your review. Thank you. Personally, I kind of thought
Tre's expression matched the needle, at least as I envisioned it. But as in
all matters of communication, message sent is not always message received.

peace,

rand