Re: PF Exhibits on 30-NOV-02 review

This was sent yesterday the 6th december at 8:09 pm.. (minus 6 hours for New
York time.. ); I'm resending it, since it was sent before Andy's testing
mail and it is a thank to all the reviewers..

Hi all,

First a big thank to all the reviewers; I did really appreciate your
comments and the time you spent to write them. Some pretend that kind
reviews are useless, but I value all the feedbacks; some should also learn
to read things more carefully, among the kind comments there are often
little phrases giving some clues as to what could be improved, or what has
caused the reviewers some problem. Reading a review does often cause further
thinking on my pictures, I'll try to indicate it..

Le 1.12.2002  14:51 Marilyn wrote :

> Lausanne, Place de l'Europe, October 2002:  It's strange how every person in
> the photograph is alone.  Another commentary on life.  This photograph
> reminds me of the line, "We are for the most part more lonely when we go
> abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers." (Henry David Thoreau)

Your remark is interesting, that feeling of loneliness seems to come from
two things : from the overall darkness and from the fact that I tried to
catch a moment when each silhouette was clearly separated from the others.

Further thoughts : Marilyn's attention was drawn by only a small portion of
the picture. While it was important for me to show a busy place with people,
the main attraction for me were the repeated pattern formed by the street
barriers : they looked like a modern sculpture to my eyes; I liked the
opposition of their diagonal and the curved line built by the cars. But
Marilyn neglected both the cars and the street barriers .. Is it due to
Marilyn's personal taste   because she doesn't like such trivial subjects ?
Or is there a flaw in the composition ? May be there is too many things in
the picture ?  May be that Marilyn is suggesting there was a picture there
among the circle of lonely passengers and I missed it ?

Le 3.12.2002 8:46, « Gregory david Stempel » <fyrframe@centurytel.net> a
écrit :

> Lausanne, Place de l'Europe, October 2002 by Christiane Roh
> This is a nice image to view, there are several elements that draw your eye.
> Composition is working as well. I do not come away with a "focus" to the
> image, a street scene but no focal point to anchor your imagination. I do
> like the image, and feel it has beautiful quality. A slow shutter would not
> have worked although it would have been an interesting experiment. Exposure
> is surprisingly accurate and this for me, held the image together.

Mmm Gregory seems to like the picture. But he has also noted that there were
many things going on in the picture. Between the lines, he is also
suggesting that I could have tried to use a slower speed in order to get the
trailing lights of the moving cars.  Mmm.. This would be another picture :
the light trails would get all the attention and distract from the street
barries which were one of the strong focal point for me. The accuracy of the
exposure is one of the many advantages of digital cameras; I was also helped
by the narrow dynamical range of the scene.

OK : two reviewers seem to suggest that there is (too ?) many things going
on in that picture.. But although that is a good rule for advertising and
probably also for PJ, is that a rule I want to apply in this case ? One of
my goal is to show how the city is busy. But did I go too far in that
direction ? (that point need further investigation).

Le 4.12.2002 1:12, « Jim Davis » <ydavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh Lausanne, Place de l'Europe, October 2002 - a line of
> cars out of a hotel window - wow, there's a guy there looks like he's
> standing on his tippy toes leaning forward that looks like he's about
> to fall on his face. Is that some kind of hidden thing or what?

The shot was taken from a bridge, not out of a hotel's window. The guy was
skateboarding, drawing complicated figures. Like Marilyn, you are ignoring
the rest of the picture : the street barriers protecting from the works, the
cars.. May be you didn't like the subject ? Oh.. Yes, you found every thing
boring in the gallery this week. But I bet that you'd judge half of my
favorite photo books boring : what do you think of Eggleston ? Robert Adams
? Stephen Shore ? Gabriele Basilico ? Massimo Vitali ?

Mmm what else can I make with this review ? How can it help me ? The tone is
provocative, as was your introduction, but I don't see your point, but for
the fact you didn't like it.

Le 5.12.2002 9:31, « Bob Talbot » <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> a écrit :

> FWIW ... Greg's image this week was competant but somehow was indeed
> uninspiring
> Christiane's image I actually liked a lot (and I don't usually go for
> city street scenes).

Thanks Bob, you are welcome and I'm glad someone liked it. By the way, I've
another one in the same series and would be curious to know whether that one
works better
http://membres.lycos.fr/lunebleue/spsalon/Image/37_night_2576.jpg ?

A big thank to all those who commented.

Christiane

PS : I found that Greg's image was particularly well balanced this week and
that the rusty texture added some flesh to the car's picture, a flesh not so
often present in his pictures.