Book for beginning photographers - suggestions?

This is posted on the list's Buletin Board - thought maybe someone on this list
may have helpful advice for this rookie instructor:

I have been asked to teach a one semester photography course for high
school students. I am an educator, who has recently gone back to the "work
force" since my children are now in college. I have a strong background
in film making,yet, I have not "practiced the art" in years, and frankly, I
feel that a lot of the info I have is, well, archaic.

Will you kindly write back and suggest a textbook, or the like, that I may
use with these high school students. Of course, I would like the most
informative, "student friendly" and reasonably priced textbook out there.
That is why I am writing to you, the experts! Any suggestions?

Thank you for taking the time to considermy request, and to write back.

Much Obliged, Ruthy Villavicencio

my email address is: ruthyv@att.net