Re: Gallery Review of 2002-11-09 Thank you !

Hi all,

Sorry to be so late to answer to all the reviews of this week; I've been
very busy, but that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate all the various
comments : it was really a rich choice of comments.. So many thanks to all
those who took from their time to enlighten us.

Le 10.11.2002 0:54, « Bob Talbot » <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh  - Lausanne, Pl. de la Palud, november 2002
> Oh dear, the thumb was so dark and uninviting but the image is much
> better.

Yes, I got worried when I saw the thumbnail too.. I had chosen to keep the
picture darken, because it was dark when I took the shot. I don't know why
Andy's thumb got darker than my pic, may be because your browser and mine
are aware of color profiles ?

> A character shot and the gourd (?) adds a touch of whimsy ...

I think that it was rather a wooden box the upper half of the sphere can be
lifted with the comical handle..

> If anything weakens the shot it is the inclusion of the other man's
> knee.  Unavoidable maybe but fact all the same..

Well I've wondered whether may be I should darken it, but then I chose to
keep it as it was for the sake of "realism". You were not the only bothered,
so I will reconsider that possibility.

Le 10.11.2002 12:45, « kostas papakotas » <kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com> a
écrit :

>> Christiane Roh  - Lausanne, Pl. de la Palud, november 2002
> what i like is teh hybridism in this one. the dark left side which enters
> the right hand bright one with the help of the brown artifact
> but i would like it1-2 stops lighter. ( isn't there still room for
> adjustment on the white cloth ?)

Yes, I could make it much brighter, but it was night when I took the shot
and I wanted to keep that feeling of darkness, may be that I could add half
of a stop, nevertheless.. Another reason I chose not to make it too bright
is that the bright cloth could detract the attention from the main subject :
the seller and artist.

Le 10.11.2002 16:23, « Rosemarie Hernandez » <roseybucks@yahoo.com> a
écrit :

> I'm becoming more comfortable with PS 7's photo-editing ability and feel i've
> improved my shots quite a bit with it.  Also, I'm able to look at other photos
> to see how they can be improved.  If you don't have the program or one like it
> I recommend it--here's how to punch up your pix:

Joseph, a tool is a tool, only a tool, then there are the choice made for
the picture; I'm using photoshop since version 3, back in 1995-96, so that
picture reflects what I wanted it to be ..

> Christiane Roh--Too flat, practically no contrast at all--either in light or
> subject matter.  Again, this could be edited in the Brightness/contrast dialog
> box.  Right side of pic needs cropping out--what is that stuff--shelving?

I chose to keep it dark and without too much contrast deliberately; now
sure, you can question my choices : I thought that the bright cloth would
detract attention from the man and I didn't want to get blocked shadows in
his sweatshirt. It was night when the shot was taken and I wanted to keep
the feeling of night..

Le 10.11.2002 17:52, « Bobbie Blazy » <stopbarking@earthlink.net> a écrit :

>           Christiane Roh  - Lausanne, Pl. de la Palud, november 200
>               The light you worked under was handled nicely. My eye is
> drawn to the crafters work and
>               strong hands.

Bobbie, thanks for the nice words; just to be sure : I wrote under the
picture that the light was artificial, but the scene wasn't lighted by me :
I shot with available light, using a fast lens and a high ISO (hence more
noise in the picture) : I wanted to give a feeling of the night and of the
lights on the stalls; the white cloth helped to light the face of the man,
but I was just there and have no merit in the lighting..

Le 10.11.2002 18:02, « Emily L. Ferguson » <elf@cape.com> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh - november 2002
>
> I definitely like his eyes.  He seems to clearly have both a sense of
> humor and an acceptance of being photographer.  Sure, it would have
> been nice if the knee hadn't been there right at that moment, and
> sure Christiane could have asked the woodworker to move his sculpture
> closer to the end of the table so that the shelving could be cropped
> out in the viewfinder, but that's not what she has been doing on her
> perambulations around her town.  Definitely a Rembrantian feeling
> about this, although he had the choice to manipulate the light.  This
> ad lib photography business calls for both snatching at what's there
> and trying to be selective while snatching.

So, one reviewer likes the hands, the other likes the eyes, but what about
his moustache ;-)  You are right concerning the man : he was pleased to get
attention from a photographer.. But I'm relatively shy and as soon as he had
noticed me, I flied away...

Le 15.11.2002 20:14, « Mpemba Snow » <Mpemba@collectmail.zzn.com> a écrit :

> you can not improve by photoshop unless you learn to see for yourself
> when you have learned your own picturs you can help others
> clever words can not hide a bad photo
>
> when the gallery is again boring and dull it needs more than photshop

> the man does not smile

Is that said tongue in cheek ? Looks so.. Or it would be quite arrogant..

Not sure whether you are talking from my crafter's portrait, but I'm sure
the man was smiling : the smile is half hidden by the moustache, but the
eyes are smiling too, if you look attentively. Anyway, I'm ready to bet
there are plenty of good portrait without smiles as well as bad portrait
smiling..

Le 16.11.2002 4:57, « Gregory Fraser » <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> a
écrit :

> Christiane Roh (Lausanne, Pl. de la Palud, november 2002) - I really like the
> man's face, the shelves and the object on the table but that excess knee
> bottom left is a bit distracting. I usually don't like flash lighting but the
> man looks to be half natural and half incandescent lit.

Thanks for your comments Greg.. I'll have to care for that knee I fear.. As
for the light, I didn't use flash; the artificial lighting was from the
crafters' stalls; it was probably incandescent; for shooting, I just used
available light.

Thanks for the richness of all your comments.

Christiane