Re: Heat Wave

David Thompson wrote:

> Hi Russ,
>
> (This is my first post to this group..)
>
> I had something like this happen, once.  (It only takes once). I tried the
> re-wet process, and air dried it hanging with some clips, it helped a tiny
> bit, since the base is physically warped from the usual shape, flat.
>
> I had to resort to making prints with a glass carrier and plenty of pressure.

Russ, I suspect David is correct though Stephen's response indicates different
experience.  Since the film base is cellulose, (well, the word is at least in
the right ball park), once it is "warped" it will be very difficult to flatten
it.  This distortion will transfer to your prints as areas difficult to focus.
Use of a glass carrier may help in as much as you are able to flatten your
negatives.  Use of your smallest f-stop in your enlarger lens may also help.

While your new contraption will certainly dry your film at an accelerated rate,
such devices are unnecessary if you are able to do just two things in the room
in which you dry your film.  First, run hot water to create a steam cloud in the
room as if you just got out of the shower.  This makes many bathrooms perfect
for this.  The steam will "clean" the air of most of the dust.  Hang your wet
film and weight the ends of roll film with another clip.

Second, close the door with the steam still present and keep it closed until the
film dries.

Peace!
Sidney

P.S. I suspect this is all familiar to you.

--
God said, Let there be light!
Divine Light: Photography by Rev. Sidney Flack