Gallery Impressions - 10/28/02

Christiane - Lausanne Aot 2002

That one in the middle's a live wire, I'll bet.  She seems to be
really cued in to the world, which the one on the right's really
interested in making sure his popsickle doesn't melt.  I like the
focus in the middle kid's body, and the way her girlfriend is working
to see what she's talking about.  These street grab shots are
wonderful opportunities to get faces when people aren't preparing
themselves.  In this case a lot less depth of field would have really
brought the kids to the fore, they wouldn't have had to compete with
the people behind and that highrise and those three globes for the
viewer's attention.

Richard Cooper - Take Cover

Interesting horizontals - the dock, the shoreline, the horizon, the
brightness line, the dark above.  There is a beach between me and the
people in the water and there are lots of clouds in the bright sky
area.  How to balance these elements to make something really
threatening....  This one doesn't quite do it for me.  The dark
bottom half is too much.

Joseph - WOLs 4: the family

Hmm.  What's WOLs and why 4?  That's what he's thinking.  Everything
about this pic is a mystery - why WOLs and why 4 and why superimposed
text and why fill in the blanks and why family and why no face on kid
in corner and why is big kid looking out at the viewer and are the
visible people related?

Guy - Montreal-Lachine Canal

Ah, yes.  This is what one learns to understand when one spends time
shooting B&W and staring at the light table deciding which to print.
I do like the balance here, and the sharp shadows on the building
with the towers.  Interesting to speak of the blackness of the sky
because a change in the weather could eliminate that so easily.
Whatever floats your boat, as they say.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (whatever that means)

Those PS filters are lots of fun, when you're bored of an evening,
but it's exceeding rare that they can be made to do much but look
like filters unless one is being paid heaps to be an illustrator and
knows the techniques the filters mimic.  Best to reshoot if sharpness
is what you wanted.

Jimmy Harris's Mimosa pods

I had a mimosa once.  The marriage collapsed the first summer it
bloomed.  I moved out and cut the tree down so that the new woman
wouldn't have the pleasure.  There's something just not quite right
about the color of these pods.  I think it's the yellow ones.  Too
green or chartreuse or something.  Aside from that I like the photo
well enough.  Not a rave, but nice enough.

Peeter - behind the columns

Is this what Estonia looks like?  Or is this Rome?  Must be Rome -
Avvenire.  It's amazing how urban environments grow up by bits and
pieces without thought of how they don't go together, but on the
other side with too much planning things don't have any soul.  I like
the brightness of the spot in the back, the contrast of the strong
straight lines, mostly horizontal, with the curve of the pillared
rotunda.  So hard to reconcile the darks and lights here.  Quite
amazing there is anything at all of that apartment building in the
space.

Dan Mitchell - F7

Great blue, nice sharpness, a little unnervingly unlevel, I like the
curved white lines striding across the image.

Talbot's ripped ear

Well, she's concentrating hard, but her ear sure looks like she needs
to go home and nurse it.  Glad I saw the ear first.

Andy's leaping androgyne

Study for a sculpture in polished steel.  Interesting seeing how the
shadows fall.  Must have been tricky to light - barn doors?  Or is
this something you control with the printing technique?

thanks to all.  Let's have more reviews and a full gallery next week,
especially while Andy's away in New York hobnobbing with all those
pros!  The program looked good and I almost went myself.  But I hate
New York.