Re:Re: Assistance request

Now this explains something I always wondered about - why lenses with
behind the lens filters provide a 'normal' filter for when you
'aren't using a filter.' Seems to be standard for both the behind and
between types (like the Sigma 16mm fisheye I once had which 'broke
open' to fit filters). The only explanation I'd seen was that 'the
lens is optimised for having a filter in place, so...' If one used a
Nikon 39mm NC (No Change) in a rear mount telephoto does the effect
still occur - that is, is it a function of the glass itself rather
that the filtration? Why would it occur if one is focusing through
the lens?
(Incidentally, if anyone needs to know, I use the Nikon 39's on my
Leica CL Summicron-C and Elmar-C lenses - they're the only ones that
will fit the 39mm thread on those two)
AndrewF