beyond the cliche image

I've been shooting fall colors for a week now with Provia 100.  I've
never consistently bracketed around what my camera recommended, and
I'm doing so now by 1/3 stop to either side of the camera's
recommendation.  I nearly always shoot in aperture priority,
selecting my f stop based on how much depth of field I want, or how
lazy I am about getting out the tripod.

Now no one could argue with the fact that fall colors in New England
are, hmm, shall we say, uh, overdone?  And although there are
wonderful small differences between the topography and geology and
even plant ecology of different sections of New England, suffice it
to say that there are creeks, rivers, maple trees, beech trees and
oak trees all of which conspire to product a heady wine of color for
anyone sensitive to the outside world.

So as I look at my slides I try to work my way through the morass
towards something original.  I've been dutiful about the tripod and
the bracketing, and spent time composing and hours and gasoline by
the tankful seeking interesting vantage points.

But I'd like to see what others on this list think about the element
or combination that makes an image rise above the classic, or cliché
(if you prefer).

Do any of you have a checklist of design elements, or guidelines
about color or about perspective that you retreat to when you find
yourself drunk on the subject matter and seeking a basis from which
to move to something unique?