From: owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu
[mailto:owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu]On Behalf Of Karl
Shah-Jenner
Sent: 16 October 2002 15:13
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: more neat software

Sorry to the mac community, Windoze owners only need apply

SGBNR

Selective Gaussian Blur Noise Reduction from
http://www.pleiades-astrophoto.com/software/en.html will be a program that
many
photographers will want to take advantage of, especially given that it's
free.  It is a
small application using an algorithm written by Juan Conejero and Maribel
Carracedo
designed to remove backround noise in astrophotography - check the web site
for more
specifications on how it works but let me tell you from my initial fiddling,
I'm more than
impressed!

It's not a fast program, but then it's doing some serious number crunching
in achieving
it's goal - and the goal it achieves is a good one.  When they say it's
selective they
mean it.  I don't think I'll ever be using PS for this task again :-)

karl