Gallery Review

Dan Mitchell
Cockerel:  I don't get to see animals like this one very often, and for that reason I find this photograph interesting.  There is nice texture in the feathers and I like the contrast between the dark green grass and the birds red/tan coloring.  The bird seems to be in the middle of a "cock-a-doodle-do," which is something I haven't heard since I was a child -  this photograph brings back memories.  The feather in front of the cockerel has my attention, but I'm not sure why.  Is he calling after a hen that made a fast exit?

Bob Talbot
The B.M.:  Lots of interesting shapes and shadows to look at.  I like the monotone color of the print and the silhouette of the man is a perfect contrast to the grey and white buildings walls.  A clean effective photo.  Very nice.

John Mason
Frank Morgan, Charlottesville, Virginia, 4 October 2002:  I like the musician in the front being in such sharp focus and the one behind him being out-of-focus.  It gives the photograph depth and gives me a feeling of being there - as if I were sitting in the front row, listening.  Nice gray tones - they go all the way from white to black.  An intriguing photograph.

jIMMY Harris
More Fish Stories:  I enjoy the humorous story that accompanies this photograph (the pelican bragging about the one that got away).  The pelicans have arranged themselves in a semi-circle.  It really looks as if they are sitting around talking about the ones that got away.

Emily L. Ferguson
Nobska at dawn:  Beautiful colors, Emily, and I like the interesting details on the left and bottom of the photograph.  It adds an interesting balance.  Your 28-mile trip was worth it.

Alan P. Hayes
Downpour:  The sheeting water on the car's window gives a real feel of the "Downpour", Alan.  The photograph definitely says, cold, wet and gray.  A great shot.

Greg Fraser: This photograph brought the thought to my mind that nothing is permanent and there are life cycles that we need to pay attention to.  These cycles seem to be the one thing that man can't change or control.  Nature still has the upper hand.

Peeter Vissak
Forkload:  At first I'd wished you had gotten closer to the man who is working, but then I thought how the way you framed and composed the photograph gave the photograph much more power, Peeter.  It makes me tired to see the man and the huge area he has to work.  Will he ever be able to complete his job?  The very first thing that caught my eye is the tiny, white bird flying above the smoke- it looks so delicate.  This is an interesting shot that tells a story.  I like it very much.

Andrew Fildes
Sven:  Sven's gaze is off somewhere that the viewer is unable to see.  The contortion of Sven's body - caused by the 16mm lens - makes it look as if Sven is drifting off to wherever his mind is.  As with the other black and white's in this gallery, there is nice tonal quality and detail.

Christopher Strevens
Putting on the agony:  This photograph pushes and pulls my emotions.  The mother and nursing child is soft, comforting and a wonderful part of life.  The fact that the mother has to beg and that both - the mother and child - probably live in poverty is hard, uncomfortable and an upsetting part of life.  This is a strong photograph that sends very powerful messages.  You did good catching this image, Christopher.

Richard Cooper:  This photograph held my attention for quite a while, Richard.  I like the warm yellows and browns.  These colors contrast with the cold feel of the dark and water.  The buildings and lights say "city" and "life"; the fence says, "keep out".  The building in the center of the photograph has a cool silver look to it as opposed to the brown, warm tones of the rest of the photograph.  Then there are two silver-colored lights to the right that look like a big pair of eyes.  I'm not able to express all my thoughts about this photograph.  There is too much to take in one viewing, and I think that is one mark of a very successful photograph.  Nice job, Richard.
Thank you to all who shared their work.  I found this gallery hanging interesting and thought provoking.  And, thank you Andy and staff for going to the work of putting the show together.

Marilyn Dalrymple