Re: digital camera advice - Leica or other pro compacts

nod, sorry to hear of your back problems.  I'm not too familiar with the
leica model you mentioned, but just saw a review of the new Canon G3--an
update to the G2 that has been very popular.  I think Christiane is very
happy with her G2, and I hope she follows up with her experience with it.
I'm thinking of getting the G3 myself.

The G3 review is here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G3/G3A.HTM

Notable things you might compare in making your decision:
Autofocus Bracketing!  Wouldn't that be a kick for a street shooter?
0.94 second full AF shutter lag
4x optical zoom, 7.2-28.8mm f/2.0-3.0 lens (equivalent to a 35-140mm lens on
a 35mm camera)  [I'm not sure of the quality with the lens wide open, and no
info on that in the review]

I'm not sure of the body construction, but review says "Silver-colored metal
body panels."

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rich Mason