RE: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

Christiane,

This term "magnification" bugs me. The reason I started this thread was
to understand it. If it is solely a matter of "angle of view" (as Karl
says and nobody counters),-leaving aside film grain&film impurities-the
main reason for carrying lots of glass must be only for the photographer
to be able to see and compose the view BEFORE taking the picture.

I also try to leave the glass quality and MTF's, etc. out of the
equations.

BTW, in the DSLR world, there exists no grain, but the image formed
consists of pixels.

izzet