Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

Luis:
> >   No. Karl is right. All changing focal length does is change
> > the angle of view. The relationship between still objects
> > (and space) in a scene (perspective) remains fixed as long as
> > the photographer
> > does not move.

Greg:
> Pardon my interruption but I think what Dave is talking about is compression as opposed
to perspective. The vertical and horizontal placement of objects does not change from one
focal length to another however the relative size of objects does change with focal length
as does the apparent depth of the image. Doesn't it to you?

herin we have a problem, and an answer.  Terminology or 'jargon' is a linguistic tool to
enable people using the same language with comparable experiences to explain or examine
concepts in a minimallistic form of language to prevent the incessent defining of terms in
a more long winded way.

Compression (apparent)  is probably exactly what Dave is writing about (I hope) but there
is and always has been confusion when it comes to perspective/spatial relationships and
compression or expansion  and  _ apparent _  compression or expansion.

Dave wrote "Changing focal length alone can definitely alter the relationship between
objects as seen in your view finder.  This will be readily apparent if you
spend a moment with a zoom lens"
..which is really not right, but I don't mean to rip into Dave for saying this - the
reality IS difficult to comprehend.

In fact, the appearance of compression occurs at  _distance_  only.  the fact that we can
easily see this effect with a 1000mm lens is purely because of the angle of view.  Let us
create a theoretical scene with two closely placed, similarly sized objects located remote
from the viewer - they both look far away and they both look of a comparable relative
size, if we were to move very close to the first (thus changing our perspective) the
closer object would look bigger than the more distant object.  In a shot with ANY lens,
these items when remote would look like they were the same size (compressed), in a shot
with ANY lens taken closer, they would appear to be differently sized (expanded).

_Apparent_  compression occurs in the shot taken with the longer lens because the field of
view is smaller, the frame tighter.  _Apparent_  expansion occurs with the wider lens
(taken closer) as the field of view is larger.

Let me hark back to the concept of 'normal' focal lengths for a moment and appropriate
print sizes for a moment.  The theory there is that an image captured with a 'normal'
focal length lens, enlarged to 8x10 will produce a print in which there will be no
apparent compression or expansion when held at a given viewing distance.  If we apply this
desire to achieve no 'distortion' to the scene then it follows a shot taken with a wide
angle should be made larger if viewed at that same distance and a shot taken with a long
lens should be printed smaller.  If you actually DO this you'll see that the wide angle
encapulates a really big chunk of the scene in front of the camera and the successive lens
focal length changes produce smaller and smaller clips of the scene.

If anyone wants to try an experiment that really shows how this all works try this one
out.

Determine the front nodal point of a 50mm lens and a 24mm lens.  Fit the 50mm and attach a
camera to a ball socket that allows rotation around the center of this nodal point and
take a series of shots from left to right, top to bottom of a scene. Now fit the 24mm and
frame up to encompass the whole of the area captured in clips by the 50mm and make an
exposure.

Compiling all those 50mm shots, and allowing for the spherical distortion of the 24mm lens
the shot taken with the 24mm will look the same as the montage made with the 50mm.  The
spatial relationships are unaltered, there is no difference, no compression or expansion -
they will look the same.

karl