Re: lens and film testing target

Alan Zinn <azinn@netbox.com> wrote/replied to:

>>> i wonder if anyone has ever designed a patern of
>>> stripes, colored squares
>>> and other shapes, that can be printed in a big piece
>>> of paper (couple of m2
>>> large), or painted on a wall, to be used as a
>>> standard reference to be
>>> photographed, and comparisons of lenses or films be
>>> made
>>>
>>> would be great to use one, kostas
>>>

>Guys,
>
>try here:  http://www.scientificsonline.com/
>
>I have the Air Force chart but didn't pay more than $20 for it as I recall.
>
>AZ

from this page: http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF5.html

I quote this:

"Edmund Optics has a line of lens test targets. Their 36x24 inch
Resolving Power Chart NT83-001, illustrated on the right and based on
the USAF 1951 test chart (below), sells for $18.95. Their other
versions of the USAF 1951 Glass Slide Resolution Targets cost between
$103 and $850. Ouch. "

"The USAF 1951 lens test chart (on the right; Robert Monaghan's
detailed printable PDF version) and its variants have been a standard
for half a century."

He goes on to mention other more modern lens test charts too. I
downloaded that PDF and it should be useful.

"take every day as a gift,
never get angry at the idiotic mass of humanity,
delight in the craftsmanship of BMW and nature"
Jim Davis, 2002