Gallery Impressions for 30 Aug 02

Holy crap! Another week has flown by and I haven't had a chance to review the photos as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html. The beer is all loaded into the car for the camping trip and the other stuff is more or less optional so here I go. I prefer to try to figure out why photographers choose to shoot their photos the way they did but I am a little pressed for time so I must revert back to saying how I would change the shot if it were mine.

Jeff Spirer (Landscape) - I really, really like this image for 2 reasons. I like how at the bottom of the image before you see the left hand side of the road, it looks as if you are looking straight down at the road surface. Once I see the left hand side of the road and the parallax kicks in, I know its a 3d scene. That perspective change intrigues me. The second thing is the vehicle at the top of the image. Without that, this is a purely graphic shot but that vehicle gives it reality. Very cool.

Rob Miracle (Captive Audience) - This has the cool, sharp look I associate with most digital images. I like the way the boy leaning on the boards at the right is pushing them over. Or are the boards pulling him over? Actually everything in the image is heading into the upper right corner. Its a good candid team shot. I like it.

Alan Zinn - Very good interpretation of Jaguar. Those cars were all bonnet and as far as I'm concerned Jaguar produced the best looking cars ever made. It is a Jag isn't it? I also like the way the fronts of the cars are not lined up perfectly in the shot with car to the left being fully in view and the car to the right slightly chopped by the bottom of the frame. My mind does search for a vertical line in the center of the image though until I switch off my analytical side and let the artistic side get out.

Roderick Chen (what's that?) - This is not the usual RC lusciously coloured, clear photo. Perhaps the 50k limit was too much for this shot? Having the crotch covered by plants is safer but to me takes away the innocence of the child. My kids regularly strip down in public and run around (it sure wakes up the pew snoozers on Sunday). Also I would expect to see a closer shot of the boy or more foliage and I ask myself why did Roderick choose this almost even balance? I have thought about it and cannot come up with an answer.

King/Arthur (At the Gift Shop) - This (these) shot(s) I don't really like. I don't understand why there are two images either. I just don't understand these at all.

Ken Sinclair - That leg at the left is gold. A curvy human presence in a rigid concrete and brick world. While I like the shadows of the railing in the foreground, I think I would crop to just above the slit of light below the leg and to the left of the visible railing. The lamp to the left of the tower in the background is also perfectly placed by your camera angle. Very nice indeed.

Robert Carlson (Tugboats) - This is a shot that I wish I had more time to analyze. Quickly looking though I like the overall composition but the lamp post and the piling upper left distract from the diagonal composition. I am also bothered by the chopped off mast on the one boat. Generally though I like this image.

Veli Cigirgan - To me this photo is about the man and as such I find the woman on the right distracting. I would crop just to the right of her right ear leaving only her ear a bit of her head in the shot. This would balance out the boy at the left of the shot and also keep the man as the only full face in the shot. This is a neat scene.

Dan Mitchell (Church Tower) - Hmmm. 750 year old architecture eh? The oldest building in my town is 80 years old and looks like crap. What a difference. I like viewing your shots of England. This looks like a post card shot with bright sun and puffy little clouds on a perfect blue sky. I would crop above the patch of grass at the bottom left.

Jim Davis (statues in time) - Although they are interesting statues, I'm afraid the photo leaves me a little cold. Bright sunlight doesn't seem to fit the subject and the composition doesn't do much for me.

Dan Reeves - This photo looks like it was taken with daylight balanced film under tungsten lights - very yellow. I like the composition of the main flower and the out of focus parts around it but the red splatter of the background blossom is distracting.

Richard Cooper (Wheres my other) - Too much water. Not enough duck.

Sorry about the brevity.
Greg Fraser
http://users.imag.net/lon2251/Gallery