70-200 L opinions pl.

Dear PFers,
About to make a decision about which flavor of EF 70-200/2.8 L lens to
buy... Pl. put in your inputs about practical problems/likings about IS
versus non-IS version. Is it really needed and how much do you use it if you
have IS (I don't do much panning or sports but can not in dimly lit lanes
where t can be as low as 1/15 sec. wide open). There is a lot of price
difference in these two versions, so I really want to hear pros/cons before
buying. f4 version is out of question since I really need more light.
what are practical limitations about carrying this lens (because of weight),
do you use monopod with this one?
thanks comments,
achal
PS: sold 4X5 after moderate use, it was really not my cup of tea/coffee. It
was too heavy and too impractical to carry around with its heavier tripod!
:(

Achal Pashine
Pediatric Immunology
Center for Clinical Sciences Research, Room 2120
269 Campus Drive
Stanford, CA 94305-5164

Tel: 1-650-498-7574
FAX: 1-650-498-6077