Re: shooting the moon

> You could start with the "sunny 16" rule, which states that the correct
> exposure for midday sunlight is 1/ASA at f/16.  After all, the full moon is
> more or less being exposed by the equivalent of midday light.  (The "sunny
> 16" rule assumes the sky is perfectly clear.)   However, that will render the
> full moon to appear at 18% neutral gray density, which will most likely make
> it appear too dark.  Try opening up one or two stops in third stop increment
> bracketing on a test to see what you like best in terms of the amount of moon
> detail rendered.

1-2 stops "over" works well.

If you are after realism of course we have to remember the moon's albedo averages only 11% or so - it *should* look much darker than even a grey card!!!!

1/60 at f11 ... that's where I would start ;o)

> If there is atmospheric haze, then it distorts these
> calculations.  There are many other variables, of course.
The biggest factor is the "height" in the sky.  A full moon at midnight in summer is as bright as it gets.  If the moon is low on the horizon there is all that atmosphere between you and it.

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890