Re: shooting the moon

rosebudlet <rosebudlet@netzero.net> writes:

>  I was just wondering how long to expose at bulb for a shot of the
> moon....between 1/2 & full (moon that is) :-p

The phase doesn't matter if the moon itself is your subject; the
brightness of the bright portion is essentially constant (the main
variable is the clearness of the air between you and it, and that
doesn't vary with the phase).

I learned this one from an Ansel Adams book.  There's a rule of thumb
for exposing an object in direct sunlight -- the "sunny 16" rule.  You
give it 1/ASA at f16, for whatever ASA film you're using.

Well, the moon is an object in direct sunlight.

There's one trip through the atmosphere either way, so that should
even out also.

Of course when estimating exposures by rules of thumb, it's a darned
good time to *bracket*.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net