Re: Lens Query

Indeed it does, and it is a meaningful, though ignored, consideration (or
should be) to users of longer zooms, especially.

Typically, the zooms' worst optical performance is at the "long" end.  And
the worst performance at the long end is almost always at the smaller
apertures. (Occurs both because of base performance plus diffraction effects
at the high numerical aperture).

The small end stop becomes smaller by the same factor as the large-end stop
(as do all the numerical apertures; the lens mfr expects the camera's meter
to compensate.

So, assume a 100 to 300mm f/3.5 to 5.6 zoom which has a diaphragm
numerically scaled from f/3.5 to f/22 -- very typical.  These lenses tend to
test out at f/4 to f/6.3 in the real world.  At the 300 end, instead of
f/22, the aperture will be closer to about f/37 to f/45.  (You can calculate
for yourself the diffraction effects...)  Of course, Joe
VacationPhotographer will be blithely using the lens stopped down to try to
increase "depth of field"...  Not nice!

Don Feinberg
donf@cybernex.net
Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit...