Pushing film up and down???

  Hi folks,

  Today a friend of mine asked something I couldnīt answer ... he said:

  "Ok, I understand the advantages of pushing up a film to a ISO higher than
itīs nominal rating ... but what is the advantages of doing the contrary,
pushing the film down to a ISO lower than itīs nominal rating???"
  I sometime push Neopan 400 to ISO 200 to get a fine grain or do the same
with other film to get more contrast ... but I guess there are another
advantages I donīt know too ... anybody can help us???

  Thanks,

  Charles

  "Itīs no better to be safe than sorry"
      In "Take on Me" song by A-Ha