Re: PF exhibits on 10-AUG-02

ADavidhazy <ANDPPH@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> writes:

> The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG-10-02. Authors
> with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Weeks come and go, and the gallery is always worth more time than I can
find. Let's go in a different order this:

Christiane Roh - Lausanne, May 2002

Pic of the week! I mean, what is she saying to him? "Don't look, but
there's a pervert with a camera lurking behind the pineapples..." ?
Very nicely seen, Christiane.

Jeff Spirer - Girl in a Truck

Hmm. What is going on? Is the girl being shipped in that cardboard box?
Or is she selling buns, or something? I find it difficult to relate to
the scene, perhaps simply because it is too unfamiliar. Punchy effect
though: there is a lot of contrast, but I also notice a sort of halo
around her head - is that a flash used to fill in?

Jim Davis - art in nature

In contrast, almost everything in this image is almost unnervingly
familiar, from the "street furniture" style to the species of trees. More
high-contrast lighting - i.e. the sun - which you have kept nicely
under control. (Don't quite understand what you did with the sky: pasted
a new one in, or just something Ansel Adams would have done in an
instant?) You probably earn some award for capturing a view like this
with only one (1) telephone pole in. I only wonder if it wouldn't have
been possible to capture the painting/drawing in at least a tiny amount
of detail.

>               Roderick Chen - bus stop

Again, unfamiliarity takes its toll -  I don't know what the dotted
yellow line is for, or rather I can't tell whether it's just a line
meaning "Give way" or similar, or whether it's a pedestrian crossing.
But modulo all that, I like the effect of the mist. In a sense,
comparing with Jeff's image it's very "unpunchy", yet effective.

Sorry, that's all for the moment. Thanks to *all* who took part.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/