RE: Canon 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 USM????

Ok. Well the way I understood Luis' post was that he was not suggesting one use a lens with only 2 aperture settings (f11 & f16). I think he was saying that this lens (like most lenses) will provide the sharpest results at f11 or maybe f16. I have heard that nasty old diffraction takes hold of images when the aperture is very small and when the aperture is wide open all those evil lens aberrations take hold. So f11 provides the best balance between the two extremes as far as sharpness goes.

Small apertures do mean you need longer exposures or faster film but if you need the absolute sharpest image possible with a given lens, well you've got to make some concessions.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962