Last minute gallery impressions

Barely under the wire and struggling to finish before the battery dies on
the laptop, these are my hasty impressions of the gallery at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Roderick Chen - To me this thumbnail is very different from the larger
image. I like them both but the thumb appears more stable to me. In the
thumb I see lines leading to a woman who bisects the angle formed by the
intersection of the wall and railing. It's an interesting composition and I
really like the lighting. But the larger image clearly shows the wall behind
the woman is at an angle and that bothered me until I began to make up
reasons why Roderick subconsciously either made the wall appear at an angle
or didn't notice it. He claims its due to a low quality camera but I know
its because it bothers him to see his wife leaning dangerously over the
railing so he tilted the whole image back a bit to make her position more
stable.

Rose Pasquarelli (Polar Attack) - What a cool, comical shot. Every time I
look at it, it looks to me like the bear is coming from a different angle.
Then it looks like his jaws are on the side of his head. Was he really going
for the doll or is this just coincidence? Nothing like 1000 pounds of bear
smashing against old plexiglass for excitement.

Marilyn Dalrymple (Hey - I Wasn't Ready!) - I'm not a cat person unless they
are out of alergy range and have a comical expression on their faces which
this one does. Thanks for making me laugh. It's been a rough week.

Dan Reeves - I like the angle of the butterfly. If I ever got close enough
and fast enough to shoot a butterfly I would be tempted to shoot if full on
the back. Perhaps you were shooting the flower and the butterfly just lit as
you took your shot. Either way I like the combination of shapes but it seems
to be crowding the left edge of the frame and that is upsetting my lazy,
sunny day feeling the butterfly is trying to give me.

Erynn Jacobsen - Well its kind of a harsh light the sun is providing but I
love the shadow it made on the dogs chest. It goes well with the overly
large head of the dog. I also like the way the white flowers work with the
white of the dog's coat. Very nice doggie shot.

King/Arthur (Umbrageous Youth) - Amazingly I really like this shot. Extreme
digital effects don't usually thrill me but it seems to work quite well with
this image and its not being used to mask a mediocre shot either. I like the
placement of the umbrageous youth and the vignetting (or just lack of light)
at the edges. I like the exposed ironwork in the back and the more or less
two color palette. The vertical placement is perfect too. I really like this
one.

Kostas Papakotas (two friends) - Lighting looks pretty good to me Kostas.
Not a flash reflection to be seen in either pair of glasses. I never had a
smile like that when I went back to high school so you must really know how
to work a model.

Jeremy Novak (Beaver Creek) - The date imprint doesn't really work for me. I
do like the color scheme of the rest of the image and it looks like an
interesting spot. Personally I would have used a slower shutter speed to
soften the water more and seperate it better from the rocks. I like the
camera angle though and how you included just enough canyon and trees above
the water in the background.

Robert Carlson (Korean World Cup Fans) - I think I already reviewed this
image in a conversation with Andy so I'll just reiterate that I like the
ambiguous blurriness of the cars.

Scott Thurmond (Disciples of Barney) - To me this could use less DOF. The
boy on the back is well defined by the white slide behind him but the other
boy almost blends into the dark background behind him. What's kind of neat
is how the left hand slide curves down to Barney's tail which leads me to
his head and the ball behind him that almost fits in his mouth.

Bob Talbot (Wagons) - I used to have a wagon but I broke the bottom out of
it by throwing bricks into it. Then my father blamed me for breaking it even
though I had nothing to do with quality control at the Arrow wagon company.
But seriously Bob, do you know anything about this shot? Was it a wet plate
shot? Developed in the back of a wagon perhaps?

Alan P Hayes (Hunting - These guys shure do look menacing. They remind me of
a murder in the city I used to live in where a gas station attendant put a
bag over a customer's head and killed him with a fire extinguisher. Its
amazing how we judge so much based upon looks. What attracted you to this
scene and compelled you to shoot it? Do you know these thugs?

Sorry for the quick impressions this week. Ran out of time.
Thanks to all the contributors and the slurpy PF staff.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962