Gallery (non portrait) impressions 17July2002

Two of my therapists suggested I need to get my mind off my supressed
hostility towards white flour producers so I decided to see what impressions
I get from the gallery at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Robert Carlson (Bench) - Man those Canadians are so clever. Its neat how
this bench works but it begs the question are the words formed by the light
or by the shadow?

Motti Heller (before the meeting) - This image has the same quality I liked
in another gallery photo that I think you also submitted. We know all 4
chairs are basically identical but from this angle they form very dissimilar
2d shapes. I know that's pretty much taken for granted but I get a kick out
of it. I don't care too much for the overall composition though. I wouldn't
mind the table and chairs centered as they are if there was nothing else in
the shot but with all the extra tables and things I think I would prefer it
to be off center.

Rich Mason - The headline 'Rough Ride Ahead' could easily be the title of
this image. The person in the foreground appears like he(?) could be the
man's son. He also appears to be attempting to talk to the man whom I assume
is his father. However, Daddy ain't listening. He just realized how much
money he lost betting on those friggin' Reds again. Regrettably a modern
classic image. Excellent work Rich.

Dan Mitchell (Determined) - Another excellent slice of modern culture. The
look of a woman watching the last perfect pot holder disappear as she waits
for that worthless husband of hers to fetch her wallet from the car. The
blue sky and red and white circus like striped tent really complete the
mood.

Jeff Spirer (Smoker) - This is one of those images where the details seem to
unfold the longer you look at it. At first I just saw a woman in a doorway
then I noticed that she's not just smoking - she's making love to the
cigarette. The ecstacy of burnt formaldahyde is not wasted on her. But more
than that, this image is full of patterns. There are repeating squares in
the building at the left, inverted arches in the shingles on the house,
whatever the shape is on the right hand post and most interestingly 'V'
shapes throught the woman herself - her bra line, the top of her shirt below
the lace, the top edge of the lace, the shadow on her neck, her lips and
nose and even the shape of her head. This is my favourite Spirer image I
have seen so far.

Roderick Chen (Cecile) - So that trip to BC was about more than just
photographing bears. Beautiful lighting and I love the warm skin set against
that deep blue water. Man that water's blue. And the waves in the water are
echoed in her hair.

jIMMY Harris (U.S. - July 4th - FireWorks) - A little crowded but holy color
Batman! I like the way you included part of a building in the corner. Kinda
provides a reference point.

D.L. Shipman - Finally some color in those birds. Now honestly, you painted
that green stripe on there didn't you. The negative space under the bird's
head really stands out for me but it doesn't look like anything I can think
of. Weird.

John Edwin Mason (Barn, Brunswick County, Virginia) - I find this
composition extremely static but that's a great sky and I like the almost IR
of the foreground grass.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Stones 2) - I feel stones 1 was much better. The
background is too detailed to let the stones really stand out and the direct
sunlight prevents the colors of the stones making them stand out. I mean I
can easily make out the stones but nothing directs my attention to them.

Alan Zinn - Good use of parallax but the entire image doesn't exactly work
for me. The satellite dish circle is great and I like the angles on the
building but all the shapes seem crammed into a small section of the image.

Steven Ross (Little Dunnotter) - The crumbling stone certainly fits into its
environment but the image seems to have too many leaves, flower, rocks or
what have you. If you could go back and hack down that green tree mid-left
in the image, then I think you'd have a cool image with the white flowers
starting bottom left, curving up the right side and on into the highlights
of the castle.

Well thats all. Thanks to all the contributors this week.
Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962