Re: Self Portrait Gallery

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> > Wait a minute! That's not a donut!!! It's a bagel!!!
>

> What exactly is a bagel?
>
> I for one have never actually seen one, let alone tasted it.
> We tend to have bread rolls.

Bagels are a religious issue.  Traditionally, bagels are savory
toruses of bread dough, made by a process that includes boiling the
rings of dough in a kettle before baking them.  I think of them as a
part of the Jewish culinary tradition in the US (which may well mean
they're a common thing from some part of Eastern Europe or something).

They often have things sprinkled over the outside; traditional items
include onions, garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and coarse salt.
There has been a lot of experimentation over the last couple of
decades with definitely non-traditional things to put on or in bagels,
some of which are very good.

(You can get bagles made different ways, to be much softer (ick), and
you can find some that are even sweet things rather than savory things
(double ick); as I say, they're a religious issue.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net