Re: Olympus digicam?

AZ writes:

>I was in a pawn shop this afternoon and looked at a
couple Oly cams
for
>around $139.-, a D-230 and a D-360L. I'm looking for
a utility camera
for
>mostly web and 4x6 snaps.  Would either of these be
worth their asking
>price?  And, are there any notable problems with
either?

>AZ

That's certainly a good price for a D-230, assuming
that it's in the box with all software and hardware.

It's a good little camera in many ways.  All auto,
with no manual overrides.  Excellent metering.
Hard-to-fool auto white balance.  Relatively fast
lens.  Shutter lag is shorter than most inexpensive
digicams.  Will produce a nice 8x10.

But the lens distorts significantly--hard to produce a
straight horizontal line.  It could also be sharper.

And note my earlier post...  Images saved and printed
in tiff (which you must do for adequate quality) will
be printed with the words <Olympus Digital Camera> in
the margin just outside the image.  The words are
embedded somewhere in the file, Photoshop reads them
as part of the image, and I've found no way to get rid
of them.

Still, for USD239 (what I paid new) it's a good buy.

My gallery photo this week was one of my initial
efforts with the D-230.

Best, John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/