Review: PF exhibits on 2002-06-22

work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
include:

OK, no excuses, just can't be bothered to do a full review. Takes too
long and the house seems empty for the summer.
But I did like the past week's gallery a lot.  Maybe that was swayed
by two or three real corkers ...

>                Marilyn Dalrymple -
A departure for maralyn's normal stuff.
Not all submissions have to be the best artistically.  This one was
both interesting and educational.

>                D.L. Shipman - What ever happened to whats her
name...
A fun picture and probably much better than the unmadifed original.
I can't place what it is but these impressionistic filters don't seem
to have as cool an effect as impressionistic paint.   Is that bias,
probably, but if it was done in oils on canvas I'd probably be raving
about it  ;o)

>                Mario Filipe Pires  - pinhole car
Yep it looks like it was in a car.
Needs some clever words to make me want to look beyond that (pinhole
is not enough)

>                Janine C. Hanson - Winter Wisteria, NY-2001
Nice shot.
Why does it matter if a shot is cropped in PS (let alone the version
number)?
Do other programs crop differently?
Do we comment on negatives that are printed anything other than full
frame?
The only real reason I see for mentioning cropping is when it is
CROPPING and then to explain the lack of quality (grain) that reslts.

>                King/Arthur - St. Pat's Parade
OK, don't like this at all as a picture but I appreciate the
explanation of what you were trying to do.
The selective blur did bring attention to the green thingumy.  What
failed (maybe you work harder next time) wat tha the selective blur
appears uniform across all the background irrespective of distance.
The woman and the distant house equally blurred.

It's worth doing but I notice the problem even before I read your
explanation.  Thanks for getting me thinking about this.  I have used
selective blur myself but not to the stage where anyone has commented
(less is more, as with sharpening).

>                Christopher Strevens - Stones
Thanks for bringing my attention to "Andy Goldsworthy".  Some of his
work is fantastic.
Sadly having been to see his work I started judging your pile of
stones against it and came away feeling they were just a pile of
stones.

>                Rich Mason -
Hi Rich.  Yes, this does indeed look like the image you took on
Raphael.
It's obviously been heavily manipulated though.  You have taken away
that attractive green sky, the magenta grass and the deep blue
shadows.  Perhaps you should contact Jan for some advice on scanning
the way a pro does it.  This one looks too much like, well, a
photograph.  love the recession.  I wouls have gone for an even wider
lens and got closer but heck, I didn't take it.

Hope you donated the model the price of a beer ?

>                Dave Van Verst - Right Section-Ruby Falls
Nice picture but no real strong point of interset.
The green fingers bottom right distract me.

>                Karen Powell - Blueberries in Waiting
"I am a beginner photographer interested in trying to improve my
skills"
OK, lessons that don't involve spending much money.
1) get a tripod and cable release
2) learn to use the tripod (it might mean waiting for the wind to
drop - there is usually a time in the day when it goes calm)
3) use a polariser:  the reflected sky on the leaves kills the shot.
4) concetrate on detail (easier when using a tripod than hand held).
The leaves top right are distracting as they are damaged.
Good luck.

>                Roderick Chen - red
Fantastic shot:  most weeks this would have been my "pick of the
week".
Simplicity is underestimated.  OK, it is a "camera club" shot (a
photographer's picture) but I can't help but like it all the same.

>                Jose Luis Vasconcellos - Paloma
Truly excellent shot:  really professional.
I'm wondering why you clipped the hair ends on the left side but I
thing the white to the right works well.
Yes:  if I could get shots like this I would feel I had made it at
portraiture

Mt shot of the week.

>                Christiane Roh  - Bourgogne, May 2002
Nice flowers with suitably out-of-focus background.
Focus is maintained on the petal coming to us.
All the others are cropped bar one.
Detail?  sommat sticking out below and to the right of the main petal.
The sort of detail that can make or break a shot.

Bob