Re: Joshua tree

I have only been there as a climber. I am trying to find things on line
that you should be concerned with.

petroglyphs   http://www.sixdirections.com/ppower/powerpjt.htm

there is another rock with petroglyphs that isn't mentioned here. might
be hard to find. just a pile of rocks near a parking lot with a small
opening that you can crawl through. once inside it opens up into a small
dome shaped chamber. We would sometimes sleep in there if it rains. You
will need a 15mm lens or shorter and open flash head to get a shot of
it. Ask some of the climbers. You would be better to ask some of the
older dirtier more weathered of the climbers found there. Look for "rock
bums" who appear to living out of a rusted out old pinto or something. A
sixpack of beer and a half of a Jicama (or what's left from your KFC
luch) will get you much from my descendents.  The Anorexic Lycra-Clad
Faggots know nothing and are best left alone.

Take the hikes (the oasis, Ryan mountain, Hidden Valley, whatever else
is suggested) early in the morning. Try to go after a rain if possible.
Catching the desert in bloom is mind boggling.

The most spectacular thing you can do is to go during a full moon and
camp. The moonlight on the rocks there will give you the impression of
being on another planet. We used to even climb at night because it was
so bright.

disclaimer- the author in NO WAY is suggesting that anyone climb Joshua
tree at anytime much less at night! only fools tread there.

If i can find my old climbing guides I will post you more.