Re: Water resistant tile

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Fraser" <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@ase-listmail.rit.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 2:11 PM
Subject: RE: Water resistant tile

> What I'm curious about is how you get all the developer, that must soak
into
> the tile, neutralized or do raw tiles not absorb moisture?
>
> Greg Fraser
>--------
Hi Greg,

I use a subbing on the tile made from gelatine - just like I would use on
watercolor paper when making a gum dichromate or cyanotype print.    I use a
few drops of formaldehyde in the gelatine mix to harden the coating. This
subbing seals the tile and makes a film that holds the liquid emulsion in
place.  The tile is processed just as if it were photo paper and is placed
in fix as a last step.

Here are a couple of web addresses that have mroe information on the subject
of liquid emulsion.

http://www.rockaloid.com/default.htm

and

http://www.merrillphoto.com/Slatehowtopage.htm

It's a messy, expensive and frustrating process, but I love it.  Let me know
if you try working with it.

Marilyn