Re:Re: dead photographers [ was American Masters Stamps ]

>  I see a flaw, if one has to master rigor mortis to become a
> Master.

  Anyone who would consider the US Postal Service an arbiter
of photographic excellence...well...enough said. There are
living Masters in every field of photography, specialy the art
world. But Masterhood means different things to different people.
There are those who would hand the title to thousands of living
photographers, too...and so the term would lose all meaning (and
likely be supplanted by another).

> > Odd to
> > compare Nichols to Haas.

>and it is at this point I must confess that I was a) on pain medication, > b ) looking at Mike Nichols' website c) thinking of Steve McCurry  >who in my opinion (and possibly delusionnal state) beats Haas to the
>coloured floor.

    I like Mc Curry too...but I do not see him as having the
mastery (there's that word) of color that Haas did. I do not
see galleries pushing his work as art, nor has Mc Curry succeeded
in as many fields as Haas did. Having said all that, I do think Mc Curry
is one of our top living/practicing journalists.

> It was the world trade center pictures that did it for me, a whole >bunch of photographers, yet McCurry's use of colour was as >devastating as the devastation, and I was extremely disappointed in >the World Press Photo for not having recognized this.

    Where I think Mc Curry excelled in his 9/11 reportage was in
going for the symbols. Few other photographers did this as well or
efficiently has he.

       --- Luis