Re: dead photographers [ was American Masters Stamps ]

----- Original Message -----
From: "luis" <chilled_delirium@mailstation.com>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@ase-listmail.rit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 9:10 PM
Subject: Re:Re: dead photographers [ was American Masters Stamps ]

>    I see no fundamental -- or other -- flaws with looking
> at any work, regardless of the author's physical status.

I see a flaw, if one has to master rigor mortis to become a Master.

> Odd to
> compare Nichols to Haas. One is an excellent wildlife photographer, the
other was quite the artist; accomplished journalist in many arenas, and
extremely successfull commercial photographer as well. I see no comparison
except they were both male, shot color film, and Haas
> did some wildlife work for "The Creation".

and it is at this point I must confess that I was a) on pain medication, b)
looking at Mike Nichols' website c) thinking of Steve McCurry who in my
opinion (and possibly delusionnal state) beats Haas to the coloured floor.
It was the world trade center pictures that did it for me, a whole bunch of
photographers, yet McCurry's use of colour was as devastating as the
devastation, and I was extremely disappointed in the World Press Photo for
not having recognized this.

> Oh, and Nichols just
> discovered the Leica RFs

In the same manner that Christopher Columbus discovered America ? was it on
Amazonian (as in, in the Amazon jungle, not as in, he's a big woman)
assignment, is there a leica bush, tree or do they grow like potatoes ?