Re: which is the sharpest

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Murat Sen wrote:

> i have some problems with 1.1.4 50mm nikkor.that is not sharp enough. i
> decided to have purchase a new normal lens. i shot night scenics like
> brassai.
>
> is there anybody who knows something about noct-nikkor's and 55mm f2.8 micro
> nikkor. how noct-nikkor works in day-time when shoting portraits? and how
> perform 2.8 micro works when it is focused to infinity (in day and night) ?

  I have one Noct-Nikkor and a couple of 50/1.4's. My 50/1.4s are
sharper when stopped down than the Noct. The latter is easier to
focus in the dark, and affords one a bit more light.

 Now, twenty questions...

  When you say your lens is unsharp (and this seems odd, because
people often complain - read Mike Johnston on this - about them
being too sharp), do you mean you have tested it on a tripod
with a target, making sure it is squared up and checked the results
on slide film with a high-quality loupe ?

  Which camera body are you using this lens on ?

  Are you focusing manually, or using AF ?

  Are you using a tripod for these shots or hand-held ?

  What kind of shutter speeds are you shooting at ?

  Have you tried another 50/1.4 ?

  The same lens on another body ?

                                               --- Luis

BTW, If you have a spare $3800 dollars, you might want to pick up a Leica
M6 and 50/1.0 Noctilux. Maybe a spare 35/1.4 as well. Probably the best
tool for that job.