Re: Ones in the middle (Was: Gallery Review)

Christiane ROH <rohcris@vtx.ch> writes:
> As for the BM window, I admit having a foible for complex reflections, where
> the viewers can't guess immediately what is going on, or just almost get it.
> Here, only half of what you see in the windows are reflections; the upper
> part is a view of the inside light dome. If you need to lift any ambiguity,
> download that pdf document and you'll understand more exactly what is going
> on : http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/review.pdf.  Well I found that
> document after returning from London and discovered another similar shot in
> it (p. 42).
>
> Now, I could need some help to understand the rest of your review :
> 1) what do you intend by a coverup job ? The dictionary says it's "une
> operation de camouflage" but it doesn't help really : do you mean it could
> be the result of multiple layer or multiple shots ? It isn't : it is one
> single shot straight from camera.
> 2) The talk of keystoning is a cop-out ?  "Une excuse bidon, une
> échappatoire" aka a false/bad excuse, but for what ? From whom ? Does that
> mean you are in disagreement with the other reviewers who judged the
> keystoning disturbing ? If yes.. You are welcome ;-)

Thanks for your comments. In reverse order, ^_^ means "silly"; I saw
"Keystone Cops" and couldn't resist it.

I looked at the British Museum page, but (a) it's 1.5 MB, and (b)
it's pdf, so I got irritated, but I could see that the window we're
looking at is actually on the *inside* under the arcade. As for
"coverup", that isn't a very helpful expression either, really; I
was trying to distinguish the fine line between the
not-immediately-understandable that comes over as tantalising
mystery, and the n-i-u that comes over as the artist obfuscating.
And I think this is a personal thing - one person's "too confusing"
is another's "delightful". In particular I remember a shot someone
showed of the Louvre with the sun setting behind the ridiculous
pyramid thingy. To someone who had never seen it before (there was
such a reviewer) it might well seem just a muddle, but to anyone who
could immediately "read" through the pyramid, the starting point was
completely different. Somehow, the "handbags" (as I dimly remember)
seemed to be trying to confuse us; whereas here (in the BM) the
windowness of the window [gosh, I'll be in Pseud's Corner!] comes
through loud and clear, and all the shadows and reflections are an
extra layer. (No, sorry, I don't think that explanation is very
convincing, either.)

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/