Re: Virus in image files ?

At 02:50 PM 6/15/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>*-CHILLED DELIRIUM-* <sfunp@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us> writes:
>

>>      There's a little article out today from AP on an announcement
>> from McAfee Security about a "Perrun" virus, which has a component
>> that infects Jpegs. The worry is not about this particular virus,
>> because it needs an "extractor" component also present in the
>> victim's hard drive. But they theorize that before long, other
>> viruses will be designed to be totally coded into Jpegs, and
>> like this one, invisible when you pull the image up.
>
>I think this article is uninformed gibberish. The jpeg format has no
>element of executability, and no internal means of "propagation". As far
>as I could see this is simply a conventional virus, spread by
>conventional virus-spreading tools like Micro$oft Outlook Express, that
>happens to mess up jpeg files.
>
>McAfee and their ilk have a large financial interest in keeping the
>general public uninformed, scared, and happy shelling out money for
>"protection". Rackets are used by tennis players.
>
>Brian Chandler
>----------------
>geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
>http://imaginatorium.org/

Brian,

I don't fault the virus marketing people for keeping people alert to the
idea that they are vulnerable. Without it you will get and spread a virus.
Norton comes bundled free with enough other products so that so far I
haven't had to buy it. I think virus protection should be required for
anyone to access the internet. I think service providers should lose their
license if they don't boot customers who do not use protection.  We had a
relentless sircam attack for almost a year from some bozo without virus
software - dozens of hits a day. It finally quit on its own so I guess the
source was replaced or fixed.

Here is an article re jpeg virus:  http://www.vnunet.com/News/1132633

AZ

Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.