Re: copyright?

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, so forgive me if this
has already been covered, but how does finding an old photograph differ
from finding an old painting?   If I find a Van Gogh at a flea market,
surely I own all rights to the image?  Art books would have to get my
permission to reproduce it?

Dan C.

   At 09:29 PM 14-06-02 -0700, Alan Zinn wrote:
>At 07:57 AM 6/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>>Alan,
>>
>>Let's think about what you want to do. You found some pictures, and now you
>>want to "control" their use.
>>
>>You did NOT create these images. You simply found them. Why do you think YOU
>>should have any control of the images.
>>
>>That is not to say you do not currently own the physical photographs.
[snip]