Shutter speed testing experience

Energized by the recent talk of shutter speed testing and bored with a lack
of targets at my weekly rat shoot at the dump, Vlad my companion and I
decided to test the shutter on my old lens. By this time it was 2:00 am and
we were pretty well oiled with Vlad's home made liquor.  I couldn't clearly
remember all the instructions but I remembered something about counting
lines on a b&w tv and driving fast in a parking lot so we loaded my mom's
19" Electrohome into Vlad's '58 Dodge Dart and headed to Walmart.

I set up the camera on the tripod and Vlad plugged his home made DC-AC power
inverter into the cigarette lighter and the tv into the inverter. The local
channel was running an infomercial for 'Hair in a can' spraypaint which we
thought would do ok. Vlad began his first and only run and that's when
things fell apart.

He held the driver's door open with his left foot, held the TV out the door
with his left hand, was steering with his right leg and holding his drink in
his right hand. We don't know what happened first but somehow he got off
course, hit a concrete lane divider which got the car airborne and the
impact made him drop his drink onto the power converter.

I believe I got the shot but I haven't seen the negative yet because the
police are holding it as evidence but there were two flashes of sparks - one
from the exploding tv and another one from the exploding power converter. So
we won't be able to count the lines on the tv but we will have plenty of
light trails to measure and I hope to be able to do that during the trial.

Anyway I'll let everyone know if this works in a real world situation once
the trial starts.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962