Re: Testing shutter speeds

Le 10.6.2002 22:32, « Penne, Phil » <PenneP@hsn.net> a écrit :

> Anyone got a slick do-it-yourself way to check shutter speed accuracy on a
> camera?  I seem to remember there was one method that involved photographing a
> TV screen and counting the number of scan lines at any given number shutter
> speed.  Another method involved photographing a phonograph turntable (alright,
> alright, I'm old - I'll admit it.  At least I didn't say, "Victrola"...) at
> various shutter speeds and measuring the angle of blur.
>
> Any other novel ideas?
>
> Phil Penne

You go out on a sunny day, you point your camera at a patch of pure blue
sky, preferably aiming in the opposite direction of the sun, you take a
reading of the light and set the largest aperture and the speed according to
the reading you have made. Say you are shooting with a 100 ASA, then you set
the aperture at F16 and the speed at 1/125; that would be the first shot..
Then you set F11 and 1/250 and then F8 and 1/500 and so one. On the
opposite, you'd have F22 1/60 and F27 1/30. You can add neutral grey filters
if you want to test for the slower shutter speeds; if the speed of the
shutter is consistent, then you'll get pretty identical shots, or at least
the difference shouldn't be higher than 1/3 of a stop..
I read that test in Popular Photography once; the test will also show you
whether some vignetting occurs with your lens and shade..