Calculator dial on Vivatar 283

Hi Gang.......

I seemed to remember asking this once before
but I sure don't seem to recall ever getting a reply.

On the Vivatar 283.....

Does the large calculator dial actually
do anything to the out put of the flash?

I ask this because on one of my units the
dial moves quite freely and on more than
one occasion I have shot most of a role
where the dial moved to a way different ISO
than the film speed that I was actually using.

On all occasions film came out quite well.
(maybe it was just do to the latitude of the film?)

I was thinking of using one of these
guys on Auto for out door fill flash.

But if the dial is only a calculator....

It does make things a bit more interesting!

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography
rebphoto@pronetisp.net