Re: question about teleconverters

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Karen Powell wrote:

>  I am a novice photographer and I am considering purchasing a 2x
>teleconverter for my Minolta camera to use with my zoom lens - Can anyone
> give me the pros and cons of using a teleconverter?  As I said I am a
> true novice to photography.

   A converter magnifies the central portion of the image the
  prime lens normally projects onto the film. The "prime" lens
  is the one you start with. Converters fit between the prime
  lens and the camera body.

   The pros: 2X your focal length, and your focusing distance does
             not change. Instant closer macro. Inexpensive way to go to a
             longer focal length. Your focusing scale does not change,
             and you retain infinity focus. They take up very
             little room and weight in the bag, compared to
             schlepping around bigger glass.

   The cons: Significant loss of image quality, particularly with
             zoom lenses (less so with converters specifically
             designed/matched to the lens, but only a few lenses
             had matched converters made for them). A mighty dim
             viewfinder image (particularly with zoom lenses).
             In macro mode with zooms, the image degradation is
             serious, though for gauzy-flower type imagery it can
             work. You lose two-f/stops of light (and often a bit
             more) with a 2X, one f/ with a 1.4 converter.

   Used with a top-notch single focal length prime, a
   high-quality 1.4X TC is eminently usable. A 2X, exacts a
   significant toll in light loss, but is still usable. With
   most zooms...it's usually not a good idea.

  Can you tell us what you intend to photograph with this
  zoom+converter combo ? What is the zoom lens you will be
  using ? The converter you have in mind ?

                                       --- Luis