Re: Printing the Giant Pinhole Negative: A Technical Question

Guy Glorieux wrote:

> Printing the giant pinhole paper negative is proving to be a much
> greater challenge than we ever anticipated and new issues keep surfacing
> along the way.

It wouldn't be so much fun if it were easy :-)

> This weekend, we thought we had solved every problem along the way and
> we went ahead with doing the final print.  But we've encountered one
> more problem in the form of a weird chemical reaction when printing the
> wet paper negative onto wet unexposed RC paper after squeegeeing the two
> together, emulsion to emulsion.

Had you one your testing with wet paper?

> The paper had lost about 1 full stop in sensitivity

Yeah, it will do that.

> (compared with the
> tests we had done just before using the dry paper negative over dry
> unexposed paper strips)

Ah.  First mistake.  Test using the same method as you intend to use to
print.

> Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

I assume you're wetting the paper and negs to make the whole lot sit
together without curled edges?

Assuming you're printing the three negs onto 3 pieces of paper, I'd
print one at a time and get a single *HUGE* sheet of something
transparent (plastic?) to sit over the paper.

Naturally the position relative to the light source would have to stay
constant, but it would give you a chance to pay full attention to
whatever dodging and burning you were doing on each neg.

if you could get a sinle piece of plastic 12.5 by 8.5 feet that you
could actually maneuver around you could do it in one piece (I suppose)
but it would be way too awkward I think.

Another possibility would be to place elevate the paper a small amount
off the floor (say an inch or so) and cover the whole area with
plastic.  tape the plastic to the floor (I hope it's concrete or
something smooth and non porous) and seal it down.  Then use a pump to
reduce the pressure under the plastic.  Air pressure will force the
plastic hard onto the paper.  You'd probably have to play around a bit
to get rid of bubbles, but it may work.

Maybe nothing but crackpot ideas...  :-)

Steve