flash/abient balance

I'm going to attempt a family portrait with 9 folks. I have a Porta Master
400 with three heads. I have a flash meter only which reads the flash quite
accurately.
My question: If I set up in shade or open skylight how should I adjust my
exposure?

I can take an ambient reading with my camera. Is there a formula to combine
the two?

Also flipping through a portrait book at Border's today the photog
overexposed by one to two stops for neg film on all of his portraits. Is
this common?

Also what is the difference between Portra 160 nps and npc?

Thanks.

Scot