Re: Gallery Review, Mason, Joshua Smiles

Thanks to all who've written reviews this week.

I inadvertently deleted the digest containing the
first review.  That reviewer said that he or she
regretted that the subject's (Joshua Redman) left eye
is hidden in shadow.

Yes, I wish it could have been otherwise.  Would have
been a stronger image.  But no flash or off-camera
strobes allowed.

rosey wrote:

> Mason: among countless others, a b&w musician pic

Right you are.  Thanks for noticing.

Gregory wrote:

>First off you and I have the same middle name so I
>like all of your work.

This makes perfect sense to me.

>whereas here I see a real relationship between the
man
>and his horn.

No doubt about it.  Musicians' instruments become as
much a part of their bodies as arms and legs.
Eventually holding them, at rest or while performing,
is utterly second nature.  You (or at least musicians)
can immediately tell whether or not models in, say,
ads and stock photography, are musicians.  It
literally takes practice to look comfortable holding
an instrument.

(I immediately think of how awful the usually quite
lovely Tara Fitzgerald looked pretending to play a
fluegelhorn in Brassed Off.  Not enough practice.)

Best, John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/