Gallery comments

These are going to be very short comments, but this week has been hectic.  Here goes:

Dan Mitchell
House: A clean, crisp photograph of an architectural style I've never seen.  Blue sky, clouds and the yellow of the house are very pleasing.

Greg Fraser
Spring:  I like this.  Nice tones, an interesting pattern and I like the idea that you noticed the photo possibility of such a simple subject that most would overlook, Greg.

Elson T. Elizaga
Light From The Ship Landing:  It's impossible for me to tell what this is, Elson, but that makes it all the more interesting and it looks like a great subject for your Alien Landscapes.

Bob Talbot
Self Portraits:  Nice colors and great framing, composing and cropping.  You've got a steady hand, Bob, but we can't see enough of your face.

Roger Eichhorn
Berkeley Arboretum, December 1999:  I like the way the plants lead my eyes from top to bottom of the photograph.  Nice colors and good composition.

Brian Chandler
The passers-by:  I like the texture and sheen of the wooden fence.  The shadows add interest as do the roofs of the buildings behind the fence.  Something about this photograph holds my interest even though it is self-explanatory.

Alan P. Hayes
Study for Buick-Oldsmobile Reunion Two: It's always fun to see a photograph of a Photoforum member.  I remember what you told us about your Study for Buick-Oldsmobile last week, Alan, and it looks like an interesting project.  The fact that you have the subjects and cars surrounded by an expanse of open area mirrors the feel of being in a car - like we are alone and cut off from those around us.

jIMMY Harris
Unseen Maintenance Men:  A nice photograph, jIMMY.  The pipes above the two figures (slightly distorted) give an eerie feel to the image.  I like your comments that accompanied the photograph.  We don't often think about those who work behind the scenes in hospitals, etc.  They deserve a lot of credit.

Roderick Chen
Blue:  This is a strong, moody image, Roderick.  The blue tones emphasize the subject's down-trodden pose.

D.L. Shipman
Beautiful colors and a nice pattern (kind of an "s" shape), but I keep wishing there was a bit more of a side light so I could see more texture in the petals.

David Small
Through a Cyclone Fence:  Colorful, nice action shot.  I find the area above the mural a bit distracting.  If I crop the top 1/2 inch my attention goes directly to the boys and the colorful mural.  Maybe I'm just being lazy  and don't want to have to think about what's taking place in the photograph.  Actually the area above the mural gives the photograph a sense of place.

Thank you to all who shared your work and to Andy and his hard-working staff who made our viewing of the gallery possible .

Marilyn Dalrymple