Re: Colour printer.

Jim Thyer <jimth@tpgi.com.au> writes:

> I have just received a query from a friend as below.  I will pass on any
> replies which answer the question.
>
> As I shall be away from the weekend until the end of May any responses will
> need to be in by 11th May.
>
> Jim Thyer.
>

> Greetings all,
> My colour printer has expired!
> Quote to repair it was more than purchase price two years ago.
> It was a Canon BJC7100 and I never really liked it. It was a special but it
> has cost my so much more in hassles and inks that I do not regret its
> passing.
> My main specs are
>             USB and parallel port
>             separate ink containers that can be refilled (don't tell the
> manufacturers)
>             borderless A4, A3 will be considered but I may not be able to
> fit it in room available.
>             Photo quality.
>             Cost of prints is of more concern than purchase price.
>
> I have a 12 year old laser printer that is my workhorse - this was, I
> believe, one of the problems with the departed - it did not get enough use.

Check out the discussion on the Epson-inkjet mailing list,
http://www.leben.com/lists/epson-inkjet/

In particular, if cost of prints is a key issue, you want to look into
getting a "CIS"; a device that lets you feed consumer-grade epson
printers out of bottles of ink.  I'm running an Epson 1200 for color
and an Epson 1160 for quadtone B&W, both fed through CISs.

Or else look at the HP printers; I'd guess they produce the best
results for amateur users "just printing", and have the lowest hassle
factor.  Getting into third-party inks and perhaps papers is a bit of
an adventure.  Worth it IMHO for high-quality results with good
permanence, though, hence my choice of printers.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net