Re: Infrared

I want to add this info to my last post. I was waiting to receive permission
to forward this info to the group from the author. It comes from Mike
Collette of Betterlight scanbacks.

Subject:  Re: [Better Light] Betterlight IR settings

Do all of you realize that your Better Light (and Dicomed) scan backs can be
used to capture near-infrared images, in either monochrome or "color"? Just
remove the infrared-blocking filter, and all three color channels become
VERY sensitive to near-infrared energy -- between 700 and 950 nanometers --
with a baseline (lowest) sensitivity rating equivalent to about ISO 800 (vs.
ISO 100 for standard color captures). Each color channel also still
responds to its particular color of visible light (red, green, or blue), and
I have seen some very interesting images made using this technique.

For strictly monochrome images, select a single-channel capture (I would
suggest using the RED channel, which has the greatest infrared response),
and don't worry about the color balance setting, since there won't be any
color. The Neutral number for the chosen capture channel will still affect
the sensitivity of that channel, as always, and the other two channels won't
be used. For convenience, you might want to set the Neutral numbers to be
the same for all three colors, so you can run the ISO up and down over its
entire range without limitations. You can choose whether to allow any
visible light along with the infrared by using a visible-blocking filter
such as the #87 or #88A Kodak Wratten filters to eliminate any visible
light, or no filter at all, to allow all visible and infrared energy into
the camera.

For potentially interesting "color" infrared images, you probably will want
to neutralize the scan back for your chosen illumination, so objects
reflecting primarily infrared will show up in monochrome, and objects
reflecting primarily visible (colors) will show up in muted (low saturation)
colors. This is what I did years ago to come up with the "preset" color
balance for infrared captures in the old Better Light software for Dicomed
scan backs. The procedure is the same as any other color balance, except
that you can't always be certain that your "neutral" target (gray card)
remains neutral into the near-infrared spectrum. Choose a pigmented gray
reference, like the Macbeth chart(s), or just use some nearby (colorless)
concrete, which seemed to work pretty well for me. The neutral reference
must be illuminated by the same source that you will be capturing with, so
you get the same "mix" of visible and infrared energy (same source "color").
Include the neutral reference in your prescan, and make sure the reference
is not over- or under-exposed. As usual, just click the spotmeter in the
neutral object, and then click "Auto-Balance" to have the software
re-calculate the necessary Neutral numbers; the interactive display of our
new ViewFinder software shows you the results right away, so you can judge
how "neutral" everything looks. Once you've found a set of Neutral numbers
that you like for a particular illuminant, you can save them in the Color
pop-up menu as a New Setting, with an appropriate name.

Images captured using the infrared capabilities of the scan back will almost
always have LOWER CONTRAST than their visible-light equivalents, so you may
want to make some adjustments to the Tone curves used to capture these
images. Infrared light also focuses at a different position than visible
light, and very few lenses will focus both visible and infrared to a common
plane, so you may want to try the digital focus verification in our software
to assist with focusing the image you cannot see... Even when using focus
verification, infrared images may not appear as sharp as visible-only
images, because the longer infrared wavelengths penetrate deeper into the
silicon of the CCD, and tend to produce a response in several nearby pixels
as well as in the pixel originally "hit" by an infrared photon (in other
words, the CCD has a lower modulation transfer function for infrared light).