Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pgadmin is changing pgpass.conf

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
On 16/09/2009 10:55, Howard Cole wrote:
Hi All,

I have been having a few problems with my password file recently,
causing my scheduled pg_dump to fail. The problem is that the
pgpass.conf file keeps changing. Eventually I narrowed it down to using
pgadmin. Every time I start pgadmin, it changes the contents of my
pgpass file, even though I do not store my password in pgadmin.

This only seems to have become a problem since installing 8.4 and
associated version of pgadmin.

Is this the desired behaviour or is it a bug?

It's the desired behaviour, and is described in the pgAdmin docs. As I
remember there was also a discussion (on the pgadmin-support list I
think) when this feature was added, on the merits or otherwise of
storing passwords in plain text on disk.

Ray.

rod@xxxxxx

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately this behaviour has the side effect of deleting passwords that I have set up in the file manually for other applications (namely the backup), which runs under the same user account. I guess I'll just have to come up with an alternative.

Howard.
www.selestial.com