Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL?

I'm looking for the current state of XML capabilities in PostgreSQL and I'm coming up with a lot of confusing links and a bit short on documentation.

Postgres' XML is still lacking in a few spots. But the core functionality is certainly there to do all of the every day stuff.

The trick with working with XML in the database is to know when to store it as XML and when to shred it into relational tables. If its a structured document (looks like something you'd open in Word) save it as XML. If it looks like something you'd open in Excel then start shredding. And it looks like maybe you want to do a tv guide type thing. That is something you'll want to shred to tables.

I'm looking for the functionality that I mentioned above that allowed more comprehensive XML operations but I'm just not finding any documentation for it, if it exists.

What exactly is it you are trying to do but cant?

Scott