Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql.key secure storage

Saleem EDAH-TALLY wrote:
This concerns use of postgresql.key private key file on the client side.

psql can't establish a connection. with an encrypted postgresql.key file. If I'm wrong here, the following is invalid and please show me the steps I'm ignoring.

An application using libpq would require that the private unencrypted key be deployed to the end user, together with the public key and trust cert. This would mean if the end user is curious enough and computer litterate, he can bypass the client application and make a direct connection to the server with psql for example. It's then possible to issue commands like TRUNCATE TABLE...
sounds like you should be using a 3-tier architecture, where the application running on the untrusted user computer isn't allowed to directly connect to the database at all, rather, connects to middleware on a secured computer which executes all business logic and makes any database connections.

of course, this moves the security issues to your client->server application protocol